Donavan Jones (@sddonavan) started the Friars on the Farm podcast about a year ago. After a few episodes, he asked me to join him as co-host. Since then, we’ve had a blast discussing everything related to the Padres minor league system. During the season we tend to focus on game results, transactions, injuries, and any notable articles that we come across. This offseason we conducted a series of interviews with players including Buddy Reed, Nick Margevicius, and Mackenzie Gore as well as writers such as Lance Brozdowski, Benjamin Hill, and Emily Waldon. Along the way we’ve made a bunch of friends, had a lot of fun, and figured out how to not sound like complete garbage. We’re just a couple of guys who love baseball and enjoy the adventures of the kids trying to chase a dream.
Now that the full-season affiliates have all gotten well under way, we’re recording roughly weekly to recap what’s going on around the Padres affiliates and minor league baseball in general.
In this episode, we discussed the following topics:
- Roy and Angela met Chris Paddack and Hunter Renfroe
- Adrian Morejon left his start after one batter – is he okay?
- JJ Cooper’s BaseballAmerica($) article about how the MLB ball is affecting play in the AAA leagues
- Lance Brozdowski’s ProspectsLive article on Ryan Weathers
- Emily Waldon’s TheAthletic($) article about Luis Patiño‘s friendship with fellow Columbian Jose Quintana
- BaseballAmerica’s($) “Hot Sheet” highlighting Ty France and Cal Quantrill
- The “Affiliate Run Down” where we pick (roughly) three things to highlight about each Padres affiliate:
- AAA El Paso
- Ty France is RED HOT!
- Game of Crossbones promotion
- Last Wednesday’s comeback win against Tacoma, capped off by a Ty France walkoff homer
- AA Amarillo
- A+ Lake Elsinore
- A Fort Wayne
- AAA El Paso
Please download and listen at your leisure. We have a lot of recording these, and hopefully you have fun listening and maybe you hear some new news!